Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
2 posts
2,926 visits

Ramsey County, Minnesota Listing Of Financial Assistance Services For Low Income

friendshelpingfriends started this conversation

Financial Assistance Services provides support to low-income residents of Ramsey County. We determine eligibility for public assistance programs such as Medicaid, Food Support, General Assistance, Child Care and the Minnesota Family Investment Program.

Note: If you currently have Medicare or will qualify in the near future, you should learn about Medicare D, the new prescription drug coverage program. Go to Minnesota Department of Human Services for more information on Medicare-related programs.

New System, New Access in Community Human Services/Financial Assistance Services

Cash and Food Programs

The following programs help low-income people with Cash or Food support. Click on the program links for further information about the programs. Click here for information on How to Apply for Cash or Food Support assistance in Ramsey County.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) - This program helps to pay childcare costs for low-income working families.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - This program is Minnesota's Cash and Food Assistance program for families who need assistance.

Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - When most families first apply for cash assistance, they will participate in the Diversionary Work Program, or DWP. This is a 4 month program that helps parents go immediately to work rather than receive welfare.

Food Support Program (FS) - This program helps low-income people with their food costs.

Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP) - Non-citizens not eligible for FS may qualify for the MFAP.

General Assistance (GA) - This program serves as Minnesota's primary safety net for single adults and childless couples. The GA Program provides monthly cash grants for vulnerable persons whose income and resources are less than program limits.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - This program is a state funded program that provides a monthly cash supplement to people who are aged, blind or disabled and who receive federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

Group Residential Housing (GRH) - This program is a state-funded income supplement program that pays for room-and-board costs for low-income adults who have been placed in a licensed or registered setting with which a county human service agency has negotiated a monthly rate.

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) - This program coordinates services to assist refugees in making the transition to life in the United States. These services include resettlement and placement, cash and medical assistance, and employment and social services.

Health Care Programs

The following programs help low-income people with coverage for medical bills.

Medical Assistance (MA) - This program assists child under the age of 21, parents or relative caretakers of dependent children, pregnant women, people who are 65 or older and people who have a disability.

General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC) - This program serves low-income adults, ages 21-64, who have no dependent children under age 18 and who do not qualify for federal health care programs.

Other Health Care Programs - There are a variety of health care programs available to assist specific groups of people. These include persons in Nursing Homes, at-home care services, etc. the Department of Human Services web site is a good source of information on these programs.

Emergency Programs

The emergency aid programs available in Ramsey County include:

Ramsey County Emergency Assistance (EA) - This program is for low-income families experiencing a financial crisis.

Emergency General Assistance (EGA) - This program primarily helps low-income individuals experiencing a financial crisis.

Emergency Minnesota Supplemental Aide (EMSA) - This program is only available to persons currently receiving MSA.

Emergency aide is usually provided in the form of specific payments for shelter or other emergency expenses, which cause a threat to the health or safety of the individual or family. People currently active on a program with Financial Assistance should call their caseworker to apply for emergency aide. People not currently on assistance with Ramsey County can call 266-4444 to get information on how to apply for emergency aide.

Emergency Shelter/Help for the Homeless - Ramsey County has a variety of services available to those who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless. Intake services for homeless persons are coordinated through The Family Place. For information on what to do if you are homeless or in danger or becoming homeless call The Family Place at 651-225-9354 or 651-225-9355.

How to Apply

If you wish to apply for cash or food programs, please come to our offices at 160 East Kellogg Blvd., Government Center East, St. Paul, MN 55101.

To access application forms and get further information from the Minnesota Department of Human Services, please go to their website.

To have Ramsey County mail you an application, or for further information about applying for services or our programs, call 266-4444.

Click here to add your comment...
Talk to RMommyJulie